Sunday, April 18, 2010

31 Flavors of my Favorite Children's Books

I love Children's Books and having kids has made this a lot worse. Recently my great friend Margaret had a post about her favorite Children's Books. I decided I should do this for my own memories. The follow books are some of my favorites. (Notice I said MINE. My kids would have a whole different set of books to share with you. These are in no particular order
#1 This book has great Rhyme and fun actions. It's a book that gets you moving. (Clap Your Hands)
#2 I found this at a church book store and it still makes me cry every time. (Mommy, Do I Have to Serve a Mission?)
#3 I think this is a great book to teach kids about how we are all different and yet we are all special, especially to God. (You Are Special)
#4 When I want to find some fun poems for story time, this one always delivers. (Where the Sidewalk Ends)
#5 This is such a funny book and our kids really enjoy it and even quote it sometimes. (We Eat Dinner in the Bathtub)
#6 This story is about working hard and what happens when you don't do your share. (Tope & Bottoms)
#7 I love books about feelings. Sometimes I think my kids are too aware of their feelings and it is probably because of great books like this one. (Today I Feel Silly)
#8 My kids love non-fiction books and I don't have a ton of them and wish I had more. However I have a few by Seymour Simon and they are good. This one on the Moon is a great one. (The Moon)
#9 There aren't very many books about dancing and this is a great one. It also holds a special place in my heart because my dad gave it to me. To warn you it is a tear jerker. (The Dance)
#10 I like touch a feel books and these books are good and are made to last. (That's not my lion..)
Okay, my favorite author of Children's literature is definitely Robert Munsch. If you haven't been to his website you should. He reads/tells a lot of his stories right there and you can listen to your hearts content. I couldn't pick one of his books so I picked two. #11 This one I loved the first time I read it and knew it had to be in my library at home. (Stephanie's Ponytail)
#12 This one I had to read a couple of times to decide that it was completely awesome! (The Paper Bag Princess)
#13 Fun read, especially if you can pull of that southern accent. I try.... (A Regular Flood of Mishap)
#14 I love to read this at Christmas time with my kids. I helps remind me that I still believe. (The Polar Express)
#15 We love this book but more than reading it we LOVE to act it out. (Pete's a Pizza)
#16 Olivia is such a cute pig and has always reminded me of my little Jenna. (Olivia)
Another set of my favorite authors is Don and Audrey Wood. I couldn't pick one of theirs either so I actually picked three. They have such amazing illustrations. (The Napping House)
#17
#18
(The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and the THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR)
#19 Ryder loves to sign all of the animals in this one. (Quick as a Cricket) 
#20 I don't think this story is as well know but I love a good counting book and this one is fun, with a twist ending. (My Little Sister Ate One Hare)
#21 I like the book "Parts" but I really love the second book better. The kids think it is so funny and the illustrations are amazing. (More Parts)
#22 Another non-fiction book that I love. This story about Leonardo Da Vinci is such an incredible story. One that we don't hear often but my kids were very intrigued. (Leonardo's Horse)
#23 This one is a good one for bring home a new brother or a sister. My kids got a kick out of it because it takes jealously to a new extreme. (Julius The Baby of the World) (Other books I love by Kevin Henkes: Lily's Purple Plastic Purse & Chrysthanthemum)
#24 I love these non-fiction type of books done by David Shwartz and pictures by Steven Kellogg. They take these concepts that are way to hard to understand and put it in a way that kids love to learn about it. (How Much is a Million)
#25 I think this book is so different and very creative. (Harold and the Purple Crayon)
#26 This is a classic and I love that my kids can join in and read it with me, even before they can read. (Green Eggs and Ham)
#27 This is a great one for the baby and up. Who doesn't love to learn to more their body and with fun pictures of animals too. (Other books I love by Eric Carle: The Very Hungary Caterpillar, A Color of His Own, Brown Bear Brown Bear. (From Head to Toe)
#28 This is a new found favorite. I like books that show it is okay to be different and this one does just that. (Freckleface Strawberry)
#29 The Rhyme and story in this book are fantastic. I also personally knew the author because she was the librarian at the school I taught at in Washington. (Farm Flu)
#30 This is one of the first favorites of our babies. (Big LIttle)
#31 Sandra Boynton is another favorite of mine. You can turn any of her books into a song and we usually do. It captures the attention of the youngest child and helps the older ones learn to "read" to their siblings. (Barnyard Dance) (Other books I love by Sandra Boynton: Snuggle Puppy & Pajama Time)
There are my 31 favorite books from my library at home. Now, Jenna brought home a book order today so I better go see if we "need" to add some more to our collection. :-)

5 comments:

Kara said...

I love this list- thank you! I have some of these books from teaching, others I've bought b/c I love them, but the rest I will have to go check out. They all look fabulous!

Unknown said...

Wow! Fun! I'll have to revisit these when I have kiddos of my own!

DC Diva said...

Great list! This makes me excited to "graduate" from board books to the many other options out there!

Margaret said...

I love posts like these. I just requested the ones we haven't read from the library. Thanks girl!

Miranda said...

I agree with every single pick! There are few things I love more than a great children's book.