Saturday, June 26, 2010

Trey update: He is getting better!!!

(this is an updated photo per Jenna's request)

We have been so grateful for all the love and support from family and friends over the last week and a half. Your thoughts and prayers have really been helping. It was really scary for a while, but Trey is doing much better now. He is still in the Special Care Nursery, but hopefully he can come home next week sometime.

Here are a few details...

He was born with pneumonia. It is not that common, but does happen every once in a while, but they don't really know all the reasons why. 6 hours after he was born, he was transferred from Mountain View Hospital in Payson to the NICU at Timpanogas Regional Hospital in Orem. They have amazing doctors and nurses there, and we have felt really blessed that he has had such great care.

Here is a picture of him there, with his dad on Father's Day, while he was on the ventilator.

The next day he was off the ventilator and we got to hold him! Does that mama look happy, or what?! He still had a CPAP breathing apparatus, which looks worse than the ventilator, but is not.

A few days later he was off the CPAP, and just had the nose tube for oxygen help. You can also see the feeding tube in his mouth. He started receiving some small feedings of breast milk through this in addition to the nutrition he got through his IV. They put the mittens on him because he was trying to pull all the stuff out of his mouth...wouldn't you do the same?

A very happy daddy, holding his handsome little guy. His face was pretty puffy for a while because of all the fluids they were putting in him through his IV. He could hardly open his puffy little eyes, but he sure tried when we were holding him.

It was neat to see him finally in some real clothes. That was a sign that he really was getting better because he didn't have to be hooked up to so much stuff. Plus, the other kids liked that. Before that, they would always look at the pictures and ask why he was still naked, except for his diaper.

We were so happy when he got moved to the Special Care Nursery, especially because the other kids could come and see him through the window. They loved seeing him finally!

He has continued to make gradual progress each day, and we are so happy for that. Thank you, again, to all who have prayed or fasted for our baby. We can't wait to have him completely healthy and home with us!

10 comments:

RightHahn said...

What good news!! I'm glad he's getting better...and I love his chubby little face;)

The McBride Bunch said...

Kricket so good to hear that he is getting better. You look great and so does he. Congrats. I know the feeling of having a new baby in the NICU all too well for breathing concerns. Not easy but knowing you, you are handling it with flying colors! Can't wait for you to be able to take him home!

Jana Brookes said...

Congrats on your sweet new one Kricket! Hope he will get to come home soon. You guys all look so happy to have him join your cute family.
Our little one was born on June 18th. 9lbs 14oz (lucky you didn't beat me on that one huh??!) She had jaundice, so had to be under the lights for a few days. It's hard not to be able to hold them. Now it looks as though she's not gaining enough weight, so I have to start supplementing w/ formula. These first few weeks are challenging to adjust to. Hope things will get back to normal for you and your family soon!
If you want to check out our blog, so you can see our little sierra it's
jamesandjanabrookes.blogspot.com

Kara said...

What a little doll baby. So lucky to be born into such an amazing family. I can tell he's already one tough cookie. Congratulations!

Teresa said...

Congrats on baby Trey! He is beautiful! I am so sorry that he has been ill but am so grateful you have great doctors taking care of him! It is the most scary thing in the world, I think, when something is wrong with your precious little one, our prayers are with you guys! Hope he can come home soon!

Margaret said...

I feel so out of the loop. I knew he was being watched but I didn't know it got scarier for you guys! {HUGS} I'm so glad he is doing better. And, I can't wait to see you all and him!!!

Emily said...

Oh he's so precious. I'm glad he's doing so much better!!

The Wimmer 5 said...

What a sweet little guy and you are all so strong. He is beautiful and I hope and pray he gets to come home soon.

Congratulations on the sweet little addition. Love you all.

Caroline said...

good news! thanks for the update. we've been thinking about you a lot. what a sweet little baby boy!

rachel said...

Oh wow, what a rough beginning for the little guy. SO glad he's healthy now!