Sunday, September 19, 2010

School has Started

School has started again and I have to say that we are excited that the two people in school this year are under 4 feet tall. :-)

Jenna started school on the 7th of September and is really enjoying first grade. Her teacher is Mrs. Harris and she is young, and of course sweet and fun. Jenna brought home a booklets to read and it was very simple. Jenna loves to read and is an amazing reader. I hoped that her teacher was aware of how well she could read. Well that night after school I got a call from Mrs. Harris. She told me that Jenna reads 171 words a minute and that she is aware that those booklets are way to easy for her. (The goal for the end of first grade is 6o words per minute.) She said she will be sending home harder books soon and actually this has already started as well. She says we will have to work together to help challenge Jenna in school. At the back to school night I did find out that raising her hand is something we can work on.

Cooper started preschool on the 10th of September. He goes in the afternoon on Mon., Wed., and Fri. from 12:30 - 3:00. His teacher is Ms. Gray and he really likes her already. He is so excited when he finds out it is a "school day" for him. He couldn't wait to play in the "Rice Box" on Friday. He has started to be interested in learning to read. I am helping him learn to sound out word and I am shocked at how many words are rule breakers. He is also drawing these amazing "maps" lately. It is so fun to see him learn and try new things. We love his smile and his sweet disposition. Here is a map that he send to my parents today.

1 comment:

Anne said...

hooray for school! they look adorable and all ready to go.