Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tricks of the Trade

Many of you may know that Ryder was high needs baby but he was happy if I held him. He spent many hours in the sling and slept on the dryer for the first 5-6 months of his life. We made it through and I actually loved all of the snuggle time we had. Now..
Trey Garrett Barnum
is a different story. We wouldn't want anything to be the same with any of our children. (That would make things boring, right?) So, Trey has been a particularly colicky baby. This is different than high needs because he cried, even when we held him. We tried so many things that I feel that we should document all the "Tricks of the Trade" that we tried during those rough months. As you will see, nothing worked all the time so it was important to have a lot of "tools" in our "tool belt."

  • Sling - We tried the sling many times and some times it worked. It wasn't a cure all for sure and it was difficult to serve dinner with a screaming baby in the sling. He never slept in it for hours like Ryder did.

  • Bouncer - He really did like the bouncer and it helped to have him up on the counter where I could talk to him. This helped, so that I could make dinner and keep him a little happier too.

  • Dryer - Trey slept on the dryer quite a few nights. It was difficult to get him to sleep and the dryer helped some of the time.

  • Nurse - We tried this a lot and it different places and different positions. It is always hard because sometimes this only made things worse.

  • Snuggle - We just tried to love him through it.

  • Bounce on Exercise Ball - This worked great but it was hard work and kind of hurt my back. My core isn't very strong after a baby.

  • Shoulder Hold - This hold worked a lot of the time. He loved having his belly right on our shoulder. It didn't look very comfortable but it worked.

  • Dr. Sears - This website has a ton of information for moms and it has a section for fussy babies and another for colicky babies. We used lots of ideas from here and found it helpful.

  • "Fire" - He really never would take a "fire." We tried and tried and sometimes if we held it in his mouth it would sooth him for a little bit.

  • Music - I would sing to him to try to calm him. Sometimes even nursing he would be so upset I would have to sing to get him to even eat.

  • Walking - We tried walking around. Trey didn't like the infant stroller but has of course always do well in the Burley stroller.

  • Go outside and sit on the porch - He loved being outside. I don't know if it was the fresh air, the wind, or the sound of the kids playing but he liked it a lot.

  • Football hold - Garrett was better at this hold than me but it worked occasionally if you could get the "fire" to stay in his mouth too, that was a bonus.

  • Peace and Quiet - This would work some but it was hard to come by in a house of 3 older siblings.

  • No chocolate - I still can't have chocolate. It really does seem to give him an upset tummy.
  • No diary - Going without Diary was really hard. I never realized how much diary is in our normal diet. I had to make separate meals even sometimes. We experimented with this for a couple of weeks but didn't find that it was helping.
  • Gripe water - Gripe water is an herbal product that is good for an upset tummy. We used it for a while and it helped some.

  • Probiotic - I took try to the doctor and she thought he was health and just a colicky baby. She suggested that we try a probiotic (live cultures found in yogurt). She thought that his digestive track might not be working at 100% because of the antibiotics he needed at birth. It was hard to give to him, because I had to pump, but it in breast milk and then give it to him with a syringe. We were hoping for an easy fix, but ... no such luck.

  • Listen to him (he might just want to tell us something?)
  • Whine back
  • Talk to him (Kids did this well)
When Trey turned about 3 months old we started to see some changes. These few things are what really made the difference.


  • Swing - At first the swing only worked part of the time. He never really seemed to settle. He would startle awake and then struggle to get back to sleep. I moved the swing into our bedroom and used it only to sleep. I would watch really carefully and as soon as he looked tired I would put him in the swing to sleep.


  • Swaddle - Before I would put him in the swing I would swaddle him really good. We tried this on accident once and couldn't believe the difference that it made. He know longer startled so often and if he did, he quickly went back to sleep. We still swaddle before every nap and bedtime. I even made him some big sized swaddle blankets.

  • Thumb - He also found his thumb around this time. We were SO grateful for this. It helped him to self-sooth and we found that he was much happier because of this.

  • Infant Massage - I admit to being a little bit of a weirdo but I didn't think I would buy this book and be a believer that it works. Trey never had regular bowel movements and seemed like his tummy bothered him all the time. I gave him the "colic massage" three times a day for 2 weeks and it was about that time that we noticed a big turn around for him. Occasionally he will still have a fussy day and if I work hard and remember his massage, he seems to get it all out a is a much happier baby.

  • Night time sleep - By watching for Trey's sleepy signs we learned to put him to sleep at about 6:30 at night. He sleeps until about 10 or 11 and then wakes up one or two other times but always goes back to sleep until about 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning. His fussy time was between 4 and 9 at night. So this has made a huge difference. (Plus it makes for a happy mom. I have never been able to get out of the house so easy with a newborn baby. Girls nights and Dates with Garrett are so much nicer without an unhappy baby.)
It was a lot of working figuring out how to make Trey happy, but it was worth it!
Trey is a much happier baby and we are really enjoying this new phase.

10 comments:

N. Tipps said...

I have never had a colicky baby and hope I never do. But this post made me scared to have another one! Good thing I'm not prego or anything. I still have time to change my mind. ;)

Heather - said...

Matthew sounds a lot like Trey :) He cried a lot and it was hard to soothe him. He never took a passifier either, and had a hard time falling asleep. I tried the no dairy without noticing much success, different kinds of drops, bouncy chairs, vibrating chairs...a lot of the same things as you, and had mixed success like you. He got better little by little, and when he could finally sit up on his own, he was like a different baby - totally happy and content most of the time.

In our case, I think he was in pain due to almost constant ear infections. At nearly every well baby check-up, he had an ear infection, and since he was my first baby, I had no idea that that wasn't normal. I was later reading an article on ear infections and it mentioned that laying down can be really painful to babies with ear infections. It finally made sense why he was so much happier when he could sit up - no painful pressure in his ears from laying down!

I'm glad that Trey is doing better. Colicky babies are really trying and exhausting. If it's any consolation, Matthew has been our happiest, easiest kid. We just had to make it through him being a baby!

Sorry for the novel :)

Jared and Stephanie said...

The best thing for a colicky baby is Foot Zoning. I know it sounds weird but because it worked on my babies I went school to learn it.
My Sariah cried all the time. Until 6 months when I took her to a foot zoner. Then she was tons better.
It worked with my next and also my last. (By then I had learned it myself)
It is the best tool I have ever used.

Jana Brookes said...

That has been my life, almost verbatim, for the past 5 months as well!! Sorry to hear that, but at least you know you aren't the only one! Good luck!

RightHahn said...

What can I say...you're a pro! I think you've got the right approach to helping your babies...you've got to be patient and open to lots of "weird" ideas:)

When we lived in that tiny studio (the one you visited us in) - we had soooo many people wonder how we could get Mathias to sleep. Like Trey, he loooooved to be swaddled. I could literally swaddle him up for naps and bedtime, put him in his crib, walk away and he would just fall asleep. It was his cue for sleeping I think:) We swaddled him for about 10 months, and by then he didn't need it as much.

Good luck with your continued improvements with Trey and his fussiness! I think you're doing great!!

Caroline said...

what a fantastic momma you are, kricket. you're kids are a lucky bunch. love you!

Suz said...

Wow- what a list! I am so happy to hear that he is doing so much better. I am sure it is a HUGE relief to you.
I am really interested in that book and the baby massages- I am off dairy and that has seemed to help a ton in his case, but he is pretty irregular and that seems to be the source of most of his fussiness. I would love to see if that would help. I'll have to check out the library to see if they have it. Thanks for sharing all your "tips and tricks" I feel like I should print it out for future reference just in case! :)

Harley King said...

Dang, girl, this post took awhile to write. Great advice. I'm sending all moms here.

schwerwolf said...

Kricket, I'm impressed with how comprehensive this post is. You should write a book. If you don't, I know someone who will.

beckstarr said...

Wow, you guys are the best parents- exhausting that list would take quite a bit. I'm so glad little Trey is past that! I'm going to need some updated photos of that sweet boy (the beautiful family pics. are 3 monthers, right?) Jenna is adorable, as are Cooper and Ryder. Your kiddos have always been beautiful! We miss you guys!