
What would you want to learn at a Women's Conference class entitled:
"Teaching Children in the Home"?
Our stake is putting on a Women's Conference type activity and have asked me to teach this class. I will be teaching this class with another woman. I am suppose to focus on the younger children and she the older. I'm frightened, intimidated and I NEED your advice. What would you want to learn from this?, or what do you think I should share, or teach? I will take any advice, even if it is "go out of town!"
Leave a comment or e-mail me.
Leave a comment or e-mail me.
Thanks in advance.
If you are one of my sweet friends that can only occasionally leave a comment. This is definietly the post to do it.
12 comments:
Kricket - Begin by making a list of the things you do in ONE day, any old day, with the intention of teaching your children. You do this so naturally I think you don't even realize there is any other way to raise children. (Perhaps special thanks to your Mother for her outstanding example.)
Love you always, Mom B
uh, you're like the perfect person to teach this class. you are an outstanding mom. i agree with Mom B. just tell them the normal everyday things you tell us about on your blog and they will be amazed.
Kricket,
I want to respond to youir need for help first but I don't know how to do it on your blog. Anyway, you are the perfect person to be asked to teach this class. Don't feel intimidated or frustrated or anything; just tell them what kinds of things you do with your family, with your husband, and for yourself. It's all perfect!!! Tell them about how important the time with their children and help them to enjoy it like you do; even on the tough days. Tell them about how important time with your husband is and how to make him feel such a part of your life and the life of his children (just like you do) and then tell them to be sure to do something fun for themselves (just like you do). If you can't tell, I think you are the smartest, most perfect daughter-mother-wife-friend there could possible be. Enjoy the class and just be yourself.
I had to do this one a while ago. There's lots of good stuff to read, but people are so varied in how they teach in the home. The thing that really hit me was why it is important to teach our children in the home, and how important those formative years. I think it's helpful to get people to realize how important and time-sensitive the task really is.
Ditto, ditto, ditto! You're perfectly matched for the challenge:) I was always curious to find out how to better structure the time I set aside to teach my boys. I felt like I had a good handle on our general routine - but the amount of time and what was appropriate to introduce at each age/stage of their lives seemed trickier to me. I think a lot of learning does just take place naturally, so maybe you could talk a little bit about causal and structured learning?
I can't wait to hear what you come up with! :)
Your blog is so cute. You are one amazing mom!
WHAT?!!! Awesomeness.
Who are you teaching with?
I agree with the others comments completely. You are an amazing mom.
I would teach some general principles: Love and Logic, Concepts from Parenting Breakthrough, Love Languages
Then I would do some problem solving like how to get your kids to go to bed, what to do when your kid throws a tantrum, how to teach kids about money/tithing, etc.
I can't wait! Maybe I can learn all your secrets.
I have one book suggestion for you: 5 Spiritual Solutions to everyday parenting problems. Here's a little video about it. I really like the Eyres' viewpoints.
http://deseretbook.com/5-Spiritual-Solutions-Everyday-Parenting-Challenges-Linda-J-Eyre/i/5053140
They talk about using God's parenting patterns. You can't go wrong if you do it like He does.
My favorite funny story they tell is about one little girl who asks her mother: "Is being a mommy hard?" Surprised her mom says: "Yes, it's very hard." Then the little girl says: "Sometimes is it so hard that you wish you were a Daddy?"
You will do a wonderful job. I only have three suggestions #1 quality time is best - but quantity is just as important. Sometimes just being there with them is huge. Pick up the toys with them, play with the, work with them, enjoy them. #2 get to know them (through time again) - each child's needs are different - so you have to get to know each one - time alone with each is wonderful. I also found that love languages helps me fill each of their needs a little faster and more efficiently. #3 Follow the spirit - if you are reading your own scriptures daily and praying to see your children the way Heavenly Father sees them - you will get the inspiration you need (they need). When are you teaching? Wish I could be there!!!!! Love Ya, Cindy
I think it is important that we mothers believe what we are doing is important. That we are staying home with our kids not because it's the Mormon culture to do so, but because it is the best thing for our families.
Equally important is that we believe that each one of our kids was sent to us specifically because Heavenly Father knew what both they and we needed. We are the experts in our children's lives, and we should step up to that responsibility! Our children are only young once--this is our chance to fortify them for what lies ahead!
I really like what Cindy said about being close to the Spirit. Not only do we need to be studying the scriptures and praying, but when our children see us doing it, day in and day out, that leaves an impression!!
You'll be great! Wish I could be there!
Here is one of my all-time favorite apostle quotes:
"We hold in our arms the rising generation. They come to this earth with important responsibilities and great spiritual capacities. We cannot be casual in how we prepare them. Our challenge as parents and teachers is not to create a spiritual core in their souls but rather to fan the flame of their spiritual core already aglow with the fire of their premortal faith."
Elder Neil L. Andersen, April 2010 General Conference
Ok, I just have to say that you'd better mention that we all call you the kid whisperer around here. You're perfect to teach this class. Teach about your learning stations and your methods of discipline, let them hear your humor and your set. Teach the ladies how to make a routein that works well with young kiddos, and how you still make time for service and friends. If you haven't already done this, I know you'll be amazing! Good luck!
Post a Comment