
What worked for us :-)
Here are somethings that we used this last weekend during conference. I want to document it so that I can remember what worked and use it again.
- Conference Packets - I put together folder with a "Conference notes" booklet on one side and some fun activity sheets on the other. I found most of my ideas from here. These kept the kids busy and happy during conference. I even printed notes for me.
- Quiet zone - We talked about the living room being a quiet zone. They were welcome to go upstairs and play or into the "library" to read when they needed a break. I was amazed how little they need a break. I think Jenna and Cooper left during one talk each. Ryder was really in and out but kept telling Garrett that "dis is a quiet zone, Dad"
- Conference wall - I adapted some things from here. I picked about 25 topics and picked pictures from the Gospel Art Kit that would go with the topic. Then I posted them around my living room. I printed pictures of the Apostles. As we listened the kids tried to decide what the theme of their talk was and stick up the Apostles picture next to the decided topic.
- Whoppers - Conference is whoppers of fun! During the songs the kids would tell me who the speakers had been, what they talked about and sometimes something they remembered from the talk.
- Golden Breakfast - Saturday morning we did a family favorite breakfast. This meal takes a while in the oven so we don't get to make it much. It was perfect to make on a conference day.
- Cinnamon Rolls - I found a new cinnamon roll recipe that I love. I makes it possible to make a perfect size batch of cinnamon rolls in a short amount of time. We made these on Sunday morning and they were ready to eat as conference was starting.
- Conference squares - I busted this out during the afternoon sessions. It was nice to have something new to do and without the little guys. (They were napping.) Using Jellybeans for the marks is always fun during April conference.
- Play in the park - We went to the park between sessions on both days. I don't know if playing at the park is really an appropriate Sunday activity but my kids really needed the break to move. It was fun. We took a picnic on Saturday but got rained out.
- Picnic - We did the picnic inside instead.
- Conference Ribs - I read about having a special meal to culminate your conference weekend. It is suppose to be a meal that you don't really have other times of the year. I wasn't willing to sacrifice any of my regular meals and so I came up with a new one. Garrett loves Baby Back Ribs. I have never made them so... I did! We set the fancy table which means cloth napkins and a centerpiece with ALL the utensils (we are pretty easy to please) The food was delicious and it was fun. (We only talked a little about conference but after watching 8 hours of conference over the weekend this can only be expected.)
3 comments:
Kricket, wow, you totally set the mood and invited the spirit and it sounds like it was a great success. I want to copy you on these ideas next conference. I'd also love your quick cinnamon roll recipe and baby back ribs (I know some boys that would gobble those up!)
One idea that worked for us with our kids being so small was that I printed off a sheet of paper with pictures of about 15 different church topics (like baptism, Christ, prophets, scriptures, tithing, prayer, etc.). Each picture had a treat on it (a popcorn puff, a carrot stick, a raisin, a m&m, etc.). When the boys heard that word being said during a talk, they got to eat the snack item on it. I have a print out I could forward you of this. I'd love a copy of your packet too.
I totally want you to remind us all to come back to this post come next October!!!
Kricket- you are such a super mom! I love all of your ideas- so creative. I imagine when our kids get just a little older and we don't have a whole slew of out-of-towners over, then I'll be able to put these good practices to use:)
p.s. It was so good seeing Garrett last month. Wish you could have come too!
And these are pretty outstanding examples of how you teach your children in your home. Use these in your stake meeting!!
Love you.
Mom B
Post a Comment