Saturday, May 11, 2013

Baby Barnum is here!

Weston Rockwell Barnum

Saturday, May 11th  2013
4:58 p.m.
10 pounds 1 ounce
21 1/2 inches long

We left for the hospital early on Saturday morning.  Grandma B stayed with all of you kids.  We thought that you all would be sleeping but Jenna and Cooper woke-up to send us off.  Jenna snapped this picture of us before we left.  I didn't take a lot of pictures this pregnancy so it was good to have this one, even though I don't love pictures of myself at 9 months pregnant.

I had a great nurse that was fun and wonderful to work with.  She was there through the whole thing and got to meet Weston in the end.  Dad snapped this picture during the waiting process.  They induced me with Pitocin just like all of my other births.  It takes a while for my body to remember how to do this.
 
While we waited I read Dad an awesome article about the importance of women in the plan of our Heavenly Father.  It was neat to realize how important I am as a Daughter of God.  That we as women are called to bring souls into this world and nurture them.  I love being a mom and it was awesome to think about that as I prepared to bring another soul from Heaven into our family.


We also pasted the time watching some TV which we discovered that there was nothing on TV on Saturday mornings and afternoons.  Garrett also built the Lego that he got for his birthday.  We wished we would have brought more.

I did get my Epidural and that was wonderful once it was in place.  The anesthesiologist had a really hard time getting it in and I was in tears by the end.  Partly because it hurt but more because I thought she might not get it in and I really didn't want to do this without one.  So then after a long day of waiting, and trying different positions our little guy started to have a bad reaction to the contractions.  His heart rate would drop every time.  They actually put back in some water to try to cushion him and then my doctor, Dr. Lew told me not to be nervous.  She said they could do an emergency C-section and have him out in 5 minutes if they needed to but she didn't think that would be necessary.  She said this is your 5th baby and you are progressing.  (I was at about 5 or 6).  Then very shortly I was complete and our little man was ready to come out and join us.

I knew that I wanted them to hand him to me right away but I was nervous because they did with Trey and that was scary.  It was wonderful.  They brought him out and put him right on me.  We snuggled skin to skin while they rubbed him up and check him out.  He didn't cry a whole lot but he was breathing and happy.  One nurse kept trying to get him to cry because he had some mucous stuck in his throat.

After we snuggled and I had kissed, hugged and sent pictures to family and friends we nursed.  He did so good.  He is so perfect.  I loved having lots of time to just stare into his beautiful eyes.  He definitely looks like he belongs to our family.  He has the Barnum stamp of approval.



Here is my nurse Shannon.
 
After we nursed and snuggled for about one and half hours they took the little guy and weighed him.  My nurse didn't think he would be even 9 pounds.  The Doctor thought 9 to 9 1/2 pounds.  I guessed over 10.  I was right.
 
10 pounds 1 ounce!
My biggest baby yet!

Checking him out.  He is a big healthy guy.
We did have to supplement his first feeding because he was so big and his glucose levels were a little low.

Here is Dad with our new baby.  Garrett is such an amazing partner in this whole thing.  He is encouraging loving, excited, helpful, and funny.  I'm so grateful I have him.  He is a wonderful Dad.  He loves his kids.  He is so fun to watch as he loves and cares for a new baby.  What a lucky little boy to have a Dad that will love and care for him like no one else can.

Here we are me and my little man.  It is so fun to hold a new born.  What are you thinking, feeling, experiencing for the first time this new world?  What will you be like?  How will you fit in our family?  We can't wait to learn all about you and we are going to have some much fun doing it!

We actually did pick out a name for a sweet baby until Sunday morning.  We had a list of some great names and just couldn't narrow down which one fit right away.  We tried a few and soon discovered that we were holding our little
WESTON ROCKWELL BARNUM!
 
We love you Weston!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

What a great post!! He's so sweet, Kricket!! I loved all the pictures and the way you wrote about the whole experience. You are such a great mother and you inspire me to be better. I hope I get to see you again soon! I miss and LOVE you!