Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Sling & the Dryer

Ryder loves "the sling" and has since birth. A friend let me borrow hers until MomB has a chance to finish up mine and we are extremely grateful. He hasn't been the happiest of babies and so we have been extremely excited to find something that he loves and we use it a lot. In fact we have had a few people comment on what he looks like months after he has joined our family because they only have seen him in the sling. We use it on outings, at church, on walks and even in the grocery store. If you notice the Halloween pictures below you will notice that the crocodile has a sling on and did all night. Ryder slept during the whole Halloween party. It has made my life so wonderful.
The sling made both of this occasion so much easier for all of us!
Jenna was playing with her dolls the other day and I decided to make her a sling for her babies. Check out how cute!
Another thing that has made my first two months with Ryder so much easier is the dryer. My sister Lori said this worked with her first and fussiest baby so I thought I would give it a try. Well as you can see we put him in the car seat, propped up on the Tide box and run the dryer on the fluff cycle so it doesn't get so hot (another hint from a friend). He falls asleep so much easier and we sleep better too.Ryder has since gotten a lot easier but now I know what it is like to have really fussy baby. We still have rough patches and I would love to know your mommy secrets. Tell me .... What works(ed) for your fussy babies?

5 comments:

Margaret said...

How did I not know you had a fussy baby?! I'm so sorry. I've been there with four kids but Lowden the worst.

Advice? Gosh I can hardly remember what I did. Let's see...make sure they burp really good (cause those bubbles always wake them up.) We used to have to drive Lowden around till he fell asleep. You are probably doing all the other things you need to. Use your mommy intuition. That is always the best guide.

Emily K. said...

My babies were very very very fussy. I'm just hoping that I don't get another one. It is super hard. We had a swing that went side to side as well as back and forward, and he slept in that for the first 4 months. And, the Zantac worked great for him, but not for Taylee. And, I had a lot more time to hold, and rock her. I used the dryer, and in the bathroom with the fan on, in his bouncer, would put him to sleep every time. It doesn't last forever, but it sure is hard while you're going through it!

Rochelle said...

What is it with baby #3? I am having the exact same problem with Rylan...where did this fussy baby come from??? I do think it is finally getting better (my doctor said at 3 months we would see some relief)...but I am totally trying your dryer technique. It feels good know I am not the only one....

The McBride Bunch said...

Reflux meds!!!!!! And with my 1st-I stopped nursing! I too did the dryer! Good luck

Unknown said...

Calvin loved the hair dryer- I could get him to stop crying by turning it on. I also used the sling non-stop.

The best book I read was "The Happiest Baby on the Block" that talked about the 5 S's to sooth your baby: swaddling, shushing, sucking (pacifier), swing/bouncing and being on their side/stomach.

We wore out our backs constantly bouncing Calvin on the big yoga ball...we worked hard for every nap he ever got. I swaddled him at church and did the bouncing thing with him on his side over my forearm. I swear the whole church could hear him every time he screamed...but now he is a great sleeper and much more agreeable. He still has a set of lungs and I don't think that will ever go away.

It looks like you are doing a great job coping- hang in there!